Leg day is rarely at the top of anyone's favourite workout list. But occasionally the post-workout quad pump makes it worth it. This workout from Marino Katsouris is so good you’ll be posing in the gym mirror … and then struggling to walk down the stairs.
Marino’s fuels his leg day with a plate of avocado and fried egg on toast as well as his own special pre-workout concoction made up of THE Pre-Workout, Creapure Creatine Monohydrate, and L-Glutamine, and finished off with a Pump Enhancer Tablet.
Try it for yourself...
- Lie on your front on the leg curl machine
- The movable padded part of the machine should rest just above your heels
- Push your heels towards your backside
- Then slowly return to the starting position
- Set yourself up on the hack squat machine with your feet shoulder-width apart and the shoulder pads resting on your shoulders
- Your back should rest firmly against the back of the machine
- Bend your legs at the knees until your backside is as low as it can go
- Then drive through your heels and push the shoulder pads up until your legs are straight
- Begin with the barbell resting comfortably on your back with your feet shoulder-width apart
- Bring one leg forward until your foot is flat on the floor, you should then be resting on the ball of the other foot
- As you bend your front leg to complete the lunge, the back leg should drop until your knee touches the floor
- Straighten your legs and pull your front leg back into the starting position
- Take a seat on the leg extension machine
- Your knees should sit at the end of the seat, and they should be a knuckle’s width apart from each other
- The resistance pad should rest just above your feet
- While gripping on to the handles for support, drive the resistance pad away from you until your legs are straight
- Slowly release the movement until your legs are bent at the knee in the starting position
Wide-stance dumbbell squats
- Begin with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart
- Your toes should be pointed outwards
- Grab a dumbbell with both hands and hold it in the centre of your body
- Bend your legs at the knee keeping your feet firmly planted on the floor
- Continue to bend your knees until your backside is as close to the floor as possible
- Drive the weight through your heels as you return to the starting position
- Set up a bar with the appropriate weight on the floor in front of you
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart
- Hinge your hips backwards while keeping your back straight
- Then grab the bar with both hands, slightly wider than your feet
- Slightly bend your knees as your hands take the weight of the bar
- Drive through your glutes and hamstrings to bring the bar up until your legs are straight
- Keep your back straight throughout the movement
Tip: To add extra resistance, thread each end of a long resistance band around the bar. Then stand on the middle of the resistance band as you perform the movement.
- Stand on the edge of a platform with the balls of your feet planted firmly
- Lift your heels so all your weight is driving through the balls of your feet
- When you can’t lift your heel anymore, slowly release the movement until your foot returns to being flat
Take home message
This workout has it all: glutes, quads, hamstring, and calves. Walking may be a little bit difficult the day after, but it’s worth it. Who knows? Leg day may soon become your favourite day of the week.