Peanut butter & jelly sandwiches just got an upgrade.
Hugely popular in the US, peanut butter and jelly (we call it jam) is one of those infamous combinations that just works — like fish and chips, or salt and pepper.
As sandwich fillings go, it’s probably not that nutritious but sometimes you have to give in to a guilty pleasure, right?
In this super-simple recipe, Niall Kirkland takes the classic American duo to a whole new level. Why settle for a plain old PB & J sandwich, when you can make it into delicious, oozing French toast?
Oh, and thanks to the addition of our bestselling Impact Whey Protein and a couple of eggs, he’s boosted the protein content of this indulgent breakfast too. It’s a win win.
- 1 scoop Impact Whey Protein (Vanilla)
- 100ml milk
- 2 eggs
- A crack of salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 4 thick slices of white bread
- 100% Coconut Oil (for frying)
- 30g All-Natural Peanut Butter
- 30g strawberry jam
- Icing sugar to dust (optional)
- First, add the milk and a scoop of vanilla Impact Whey Protein to a shaker and shake properly so the mixture is lump-free.
- Add this protein shake to a large bowl along with the eggs, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. Mix thoroughly to combine all the ingredients.
- Dip each of slice of bread in the egg mixture, ensuring all parts of the bread are covered and allowing enough time for the bread to soak up the moisture.
- Then, heat a small amount of coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan (roughly ½ a tablespoon between all four slices) and add the bread slices.
- Fry each slice for 2-3 minutes on each side or until the bread is slightly crispy on the outside and remove from the pan.
- Whilst the French toast is still warm, spread your peanut butter and jam onto one slice, then cover with a top slice to make a sandwich.
- Cut in half and dust with icing sugar to serve — then dig in!