Boulder shoulders incoming. Marino Katsouris has put together a workout that hits all three heads of your shoulders for maximum growth. In just six movements you’ll have absolutely nailed your shoulder session.
For maximum impact, focus on your form and tempo. Don’t rush through the movements, take your time, look in the mirror to check your form, and choose a weight suitable for the exercise. If you cannot complete the recommended number of reps, decrease your weight. If you’re completing the recommended number of reps with ease, increase your weight.
Chest supported lateral raises
- Rest your chest against an incline bench with your feet firmly planted on the floor
- Begin with a dumbbell in each hand in an overhand grip, resting by your side
- Drive your arms up to your sides so your arms are in line with your shoulders
- Control the movement and avoid swinging your arms
Dumbbell shoulder press
- Take a seat on an upright bench with your feet firmly planted on the floor
- Begin with a dumbbell in both hands resting on your knees
- Use your knees to push the dumbbells up until your arms are out to the side at a 90-degree angle
- The dumbbells should be parallel to your biceps
- Push the dumbbells up until your arms are straight above your head, but not locked
- Then return to the beginning position
Perform the last set as a drop set (decrease the weight)
Single arm barbell lateral raises
- Grab a barbell with one hand and hold it by your side
- With your free arm, hold on to something secure
- Slightly lean away from the hand keeping you stable
- Lift the barbell out to your side until your arm is in line with your shoulders
TRX rear delt fly
- Grab a TRX handle in each hand, but make sure it’s suspended at a height
- Stand with your feet close to the wall
- Recline until your arms are straight
- Bring your arms from in front of you, up and out to the sides so they’re in a Y-shape and you’re standing vertically
Barbell shrug clean & press complex
- Stand straight with a barbell in front of you, hands shoulder-width apart and grabbing the barbell with an overhand grip
- Begin by shrugging your shoulders and then release that movement
- Then bend your knees and, as you stand up straight, rotate your hands while bringing the barbell up to your chest
- Your palms should now be facing away from you
- Then push your hands up so your arms are straight above your head, but don’t lock your elbows
- Then return to the starting position to complete the move
Rear delt cable flies
- Set up the cable machine so the cables are at your eyeline (do not put any attachments on to the cables)
- Stand far enough back from the machine so when you grab the cables your arms are straight
- Your right arm should grab the left cable and vice versa
- Then pull the cables while keeping your arms straight until they’re by your sides
- Keeping your arms straight, return to the starting position
Take home message
If there’s anything you should take away from this workout, it’s that you should focus on your form, tempo and breathing through the exercises for maximum impact. Oh, and you may feel a little sore the day after.
Enjoyed this workout?
READ THESE NEXT:
Marino Katsouris’ Protein Waffles | Delicious Breakfast Recipe
We asked this athlete to share his go-to breakfast — and boy, it did not disappoint.
Complete Upper Body Stretching Routine With Marino Katsouris
You'll be primed and ready to go.