Deliciously rich and full of flavour, this incredible curry is completely plant-based.
Niall Kirkland is dishing up another delight for your dinner with this vegan aubergine masala recipe. Full of smoky, charred aubergine and a rich tomato base, it’s everything you want in a masala.
Trust us, it’ll be hard to believe it’s so simple to make once you’ve tasted how good it is.
To prepare the aubergine:
- 2 aubergines (chopped into chunks)
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. 100% Coconut Oil
For the rest:
- 1 tbsp. 100% Coconut Oil
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 1 tsp. ginger
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. coriander
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tin plum tomatoes
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 200ml light coconut milk
- Handful chopped coriander
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- First, prepare the aubergine. Add a teaspoon of coconut oil, turmeric and cumin to your chopped aubergine and mix until coated.
- Fry the aubergine on a high heat for 10 minutes, flipping to make sure all sides are charred (you may need to do this stage in batches).
- Once the aubergine is charred, transfer to a baking dish and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a large, deep pan and fry the red onion for 5 minutes. Then add garlic and ginger and fry for 2 minutes.
- Then add the plum tomatoes, break up well with your spoon, and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add spices, stir in well and then add a splash of water. Stir again and leave to simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens again.
- Now, add in your baked aubergine, stir well and then add the vegetable stock, coconut milk and coriander.
- Give it all a good stir and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly until your curry thickens.
- Serve with basmati rice and garnish with coriander.