If you needed another reminder not to skip leg day, here it is. This go-to leg workout from Naturally Stefanie features four staple exercises guaranteed to get your legs burning.
Including compound movements and isolated movements, this workout covers all bases.
Get yourself warmed up (peep Marino’s leg day stretch routine here) and get stuck in.
Pause squats (3 sets of 8-10 reps)
1. Position the barbell onto your traps, gripping it with your hands facing outwards and your elbows tucked in
2. Stand with your feet hip-width apart, toes facing slightly outwards. Brace your core and push your chest out slightly
3. Start the squat movement by bending your knees, shifting your hips back until you reach the bottom of your range of movement
4. Pause at the bottom of your squat for three seconds and return to the start position
Barbell Romanian deadlifts (3 sets of 12-15 reps)
1. Grab the barbell with an overhand or alternating grip
2. Stand with your feet hip-width apart, with the barbell in line with your thighs
3. Roll your shoulders back so your chest is out, and bend your knees slightly
4. Hinge at your hips and begin to push your hips back as your torso begins to come forward. Your legs should remain in the same position throughout the movement.
5. Once you’ve reached your full range of movement, return to the starting position
Lying leg curls (3 sets of 12-15 reps)
1. Lie face down on the leg curls machine, extending your legs out fully
2. Rest the pad over your calves, just above the heels, and hold the handles for support
3. Bend your knees, bringing the pad up towards your glutes as far as you can
4. Return your feet to the starting position
Leg extensions (3 sets of 12-15 reps)
1. Sit on the leg extension machine and align the pad with the bottom of your shin, at the ankle
2. Grab the handles for support and lift the weight until your legs are straight, leaving a slight bend in the knee
3. Pause slightly at the top before lowering the weight back to the starting position
Take home message
I know you’ve heard it before, but it really can’t be said enough… don’t skip leg day.
This workout from Stefanie is a great go-to workout you can come back to, guaranteed to give you a good burn (and leave you feeling pretty sore the next day). Be consistent, and you’ll see those gains in no time.